Gordon Dexter on 4 Jan 2011 05:53:24 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Two-Drive Software Raid 5?

I tried using mdadm to create a RAID5 volume from two 250MB block devices (LVs created for the purpose) with --raid-devices=3 and one of the devices specified as 'missing' and the resulting /dev/md? device was only 250MB, so it was apparently redundant.  Also, catting /proc/mdstat resulted in the following output:

Personalities : [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
md_d126 : active raid5 dm-7[0]
      257984 blocks level 5, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [2/1] [U_]

unused devices: <none>

After that I tried to add a third disk to grow the array, but it refused to let me do the grow until I added a fourth disk to backup the small 'critical section', and then when I did the RAID device seemed to have ended up on the second, third, and fourth disks rather than first, second, and third like I'd intended.  There may be a different way to do this.  It appears to be possible.  I'm still not sure I'd trust my data to it, though.  I'd suggest just getting one more disk and making a real RAID5 array to start with.

--Gordon