Gordon Dexter on 4 Jan 2011 06:05:20 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Two-Drive Software Raid 5?

It occurs to me that if you're looking for both redundancy and flexibility you might want to look to ZFS or its replacement, btrfs.  There are issues with these: ZFS is native to Solaris, not Linux, and the options are either FUSE or an experimental kernel module.  Btrfs is also experimental.

Basically, those filesystems implement things like RAID, snapshots, and pools, which replace LVs and MD devices, and as a result are much more flexible.

--Gordon