John Karr on 9 Jan 2011 10:19:09 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Linux n00b question

I recommend a couple of partitions.

Swap - you don't really need a swap partition if you have enough ram,
	but with all the disk space there is no reason not to give it
	double ram.
OS - you can get away with about 6gb for a the / for a typical ubuntu
	installation, but on a 1 tb disk I would give it 32 (this way
	you don't have to worry about tmp files and logs consuming your
	disk, and if you notice the disk shrinking you have plenty of
	time to investigate), and you can also install a lot of software.
Alternate OS - Debian/Ubuntu upgrades usually work. When you are ready
	to upgrade, clone your current working OS to the alternate OS
	partition (you then have to edit fstab to switch the / and /alt
	volumes), run the upgrade against the alt copy. If it fails just
	boot back into your old working partition and then do a clean
	install of the new OS into the non-working one. The Alternate OS
	partition is also useful if you want to try different
	distributions on the box. Same size as OS.
Windows (Optional) - You may want to give your Windows virtual install a
	dedicated disk area vs using a disk image, if you care about
	joystick support you're probably going to play games which may
	perform much better outside of virtualization. The main advantage
	is that if you decide to run Windows in multiboot you won't need to
	repartition your drive. Allocate between 100 and 250 MB for Windows.
Home - put everything left over here. This keeps your data safe during
	upgrades and installs.
Boot	If you might be installing non-Ubuntu derived districutions
	Some of them still want a separate boot partition. You can make a
	Very small 100 MB partition at the beginning of the disk in case.

In this configuration I would order my disks:

0	boot
1.	OS
2.	Swap
3.	AltOS
4.	Windows

I make the first partition I create Primary and then an extended partition
For the the rest of them.