Edmond Rodriguez on 10 Jan 2011 14:51:34 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Video Conferencing Suggestions

I stumbled on http://p2p.tinychat.com which runs in a web browser
using flash (no software install needed).  It seems to work and I was
able to get peer to peer with it even through a NAT with no port
mapping.   There is a quirk with Linux and Flash and permissions that
is easy to solve (regarding camera permission so you can get a video,
perhaps fixed in future flashes).

p2p.tinychat.com is for two people so I would guess it's private? I
don't know though.  Also no login is necessary whatsoever, though
sometimes an option.  You just create a URL and give that URL to the
other person.  Thats it!   No software.

I keep wondering if I could implement this myself by running a server
with a port mapped router and thus bypass the middleman server for my
own personal use with others.

Be careful with just "tinychat.com"!  (not talking about
p2p.tinychat.com), that is much more public if not entirely public and
allows multiple users.   Also no login needed there as well.

ALSO

Don't forget gmail chat (google voice) which now has video and is
supported with debian distributions.   I tried to make it work with
Slackware but it is choppy, so I can't say much about it.  My Ubuntu
machine is too slow, as this seems to eat up the processor (as the
above flash probably does too).

I tried to get MSN Live Messenger to run in Wine.  Older versions are
sort of documented to work, but I spent over 3 hours with it
struggling with DLL's.   At one point, I actually got it to run
including video, but could not log in.   Later I was able to login,
but no video and also could not open a chat window.    It was all very
addicting to try and make it work.  Thankfully someone interrupted me
after about 2 hours of this stuff.

Here are a few URLS, but if you go this route, Good Luck,

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=+msn+messenger+site:wine-reviews.net&aq=&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=9bef8cda26d1a6ec

If someone takes this on (msn messenger on wine) and makes it work
completely, let me know!

I have not had much trouble with Skype on Linux including video, but I
don't use it much.    What is not reliable about it?