Rich Freeman on 11 Jan 2011 06:21:53 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Alternate /home (new topic)

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 8:33 PM, Eric at Lucii.org <eric@lucii.org> wrote:
> I'm not sure about KSB's setup but I know that if you have a separate partition
> for /home and you don't mount it then when you log in you end up with a
> /home/user directory on the main disk.

Actually, that very much depends on how your system is configured.

/etc/login.defs defines whether login should permit a login if the
home directory is missing.  If permitted, HOME will default to "/" if
it is missing.  Perhaps some distros have some kind of a script/etc
that creates missing directories.  This would have to be built into
login, or someplace before the login process suids to the login user
(or an suid root helper program would need to exist).

I know that on Gentoo at least if your home doesn't exist you just get
a bash with pwd=/, and of course no local-user initialization beyond
what is in the system scripts/etc.

Rich