Lee Marzke on 15 Jan 2011 10:46:38 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Virtual Box will not recognize my USB printer (

Sharing USB ports is problematic for printers.  I don't recommend printing to USB from a
guest if the host also need to print via USB.

The easiest way to support printers is to buy them with Ethernet ports.  Always insist
that any newly purchased printer have Ethernet support built-in.

You can also use the inexpensive USB printservers that convert USB to Ethernet right
at the printer.    This now means your printer can be plugged into any Ehternet
port rather than tethered to your computer on a short cable.

Otherwise most distros support CUPS .  So just enable printing to
the host's CUPS server ( port 631 ) from the guest.,  and then the host will
use USB to the printer.

On Security,

Running non-root in Linux is fairly safe,  but many of the GUI environments (KDE/Gnome)  have
exploitable issues for non-root users:
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/foobar/6229

So, to some extent,  part of the security of Linux desktops right now is that exploits are
not that common in the wild.  However instead of ignoring these issues like a commercial company
might do,  it's nice to see that the above issues are starting to be addressed by KDE and Gnome.

Lee

On 01/15/2011 01:08 PM, Steve Slaughter wrote:

>If you run VBox as root does that help?

When I run VBox as root, my problem is solved!

Can any of you give me a general rule to follow in terms of when to run an app as root?

Also, why does every Linux user say that security by obscurity does not work?  If that were true than why does the government have security clearances?
I think keeping some of the details of an otherwise well-engineered system secret can be part of a more in-depth security strategy.
The Chairman of Trend Micro recently said that open-Source software is less secure than closed-source code because its architecture is published for anyone to review.
However, I read an article that shows how Linux has tremendously fewer bugs than Windows.  A lot of people say that Linux has a faster response time to bugs.
What do you guys think, is Linux more secure?  Can understanding the architecture of the kernel help a hacker exploit security vulnerabilities?

"Between subtle shading and the absence of light lies the nuance of iqlusion..."  - Kryptos

Lee Marzke,     lee@marzke.net                              http://marzke.net/lee/
IT Consultant, Global App Development, Software CM, VMware, VSphere, NetApp storage
voice: +1 484-961-0369     +1 800 393 5217                     sip://lee@4aero.com
fax:  +1 484-348-2230

begin:vcard
fn:Lee Marzke