Troy Sorzano on 27 Jan 2011 04:32:19 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Boxee on Ubuntu?

>>JP Vossen Thursday, January 27, 2011 4:00 AM
>>
>>Anyone using Boxee.tv on Ubuntu (esp. 10.04)?  AFAICT it doesn't support Netflix streaming

I am running Boxee on Ubuntu.  At one time I was on Ubuntu 10.04 and using it.

I only use it for streaming Internet stuff.  Nice interface and it already had the stuff I was looking for.  From what I have seen it is fully extendable with some XML and Python.

I did give them my real personal gmail account.  But that is a semi junk account for me anyway as I only check it once a week or so.  I had 10 messages from related to Boxee from 7/2009.  1 was registration confirmation and 3 of them were password resets.  So 6 "spam" seems reasonable for a free service.

However I would just assume they are tracking what you watch.  How could they not want/need to do that?  It might be aggregated data or demographics data but still I am sure it is tracked in some way shape or form.  That is why it is free unless they just want to get purchased by Google or some other cash machine.

I only watch revision 3 Hak 5 and my wife uses etvnet once a month or so.  I wish I had more time but with a 1&2 year old TV time is not really an option.  However we did drop Comcast TV this month because we were not using it.  So we might increase our boxee usage moving forward.

Troy