Lee Marzke on 2 Feb 2011 06:27:13 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Can wifi mesh networks make up for Internet Service non-Providers

On 02/02/2011 07:13 AM, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
Interesting.

I wonder if there is an opportunity for Netplugs configured as Wifi routers that can also have a "turn on mesh networking" switch on the dashboard.

Unless your meshing just inside your own building, you likely need to put the radio in the window, or
on the roof with a good omni antenna.ÂÂÂ Even with this you will get islands of connectivity, and will
need to link those together with selected point-to-point links.ÂÂ I experimented with this a while ago. [1]

There was lot of work on this done years ago, you can search on MIT Roofnet, Seattle Wireless, MeshAP
MeshBox.ÂÂÂ Generally with single radios you can only go about 3 hops before the traffic rate drops to
a very low value. Most commercial mesh designs use two radios in each box, one B/G/N radio for clients
an 802.11 A radio for backhaul, to avoid dropping back to simplex ( store and forward ) operation
that occurs with just one radio.

Lee

[1] http://koqn.net/wifi

Regards