Morgan Jones on 10 Feb 2011 13:35:56 -0800

Re: [PLUG] LDAP addressbooks (Long)

Hello Lee,

Have you looked at a CardDav solution?  There seem to be add-ons for Thunderbird that allow it to speak CardDav.  My experience with CardDav is from my iPhone to Zimbra 6.0.x and it worked well (with a major gotcha so don't use it with live data just yet!).  It also works well from Apple's Address Book app on the Mac.

Those are not your platforms of course but it could be that CardDav is or may become the missing link: if the Thunderbird CardDav plugin can write to a CardDav server and that server can be back-ended with OpenLDAP you'd be in business.  Or I guess as long as Thunderbird reading from CardDave suits you it's not important that it be back-ended by OpenLDAP.

A google search shows open source CardDav servers available..

Let us know if you figure out something.

-morgan