Edmond Rodriguez on 20 Feb 2011 11:17:27 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Fw: Throttling network bandwidth usage ala nice or ionice...

Trickle and trickled does this to a point.  Trickle lets you limit
bandwidth for a process started with it.
Trickled lets you add priorities to bandwidth for different network types.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:dtqS60yWkwUJ:www.linux-magazine.com/w3/issue/62/Traffic_Shaping_With_Trickle.pdf+trickled+wget+conf&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjNG5MTbFFEwdaYErOhTw31hOVXvEgmsTX0csyPt6_H9az6FEbDSIFydl3hj2uE_MYiFIxqeLuCEe2w_IKDkoalyALxx-bTscMW59CMzLlwOOQD3gcAbedKUlNCyIxnmjn2AMGn&sig=AHIEtbR55WVtESYrNxpPseVcrERETf8hOA&pli=1

But regarding priorities, I have the following problem (I think).

Lets say I am running wget to pick up a file (not using ftp).
And I am running firefox browsing the web for a busy web page.

How do I differentiate between the two?  I guess the traffic for both
will be "www" traffic?

So a trickled config file like this one will not help give the browser
more priority than the wget:?:

I thought of adding a "[wget]" to the config file, but I guess that is
not a  service type.  Or can
it be somehow?

[ssh]
Priority = 1