Edmond Rodriguez on 23 Feb 2011 09:13:24 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Fw: Throttling network bandwidth usage ala nice or ionice...

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Randall A Sindlinger
<rsindlin+plug@seas.upenn.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 11:42:08AM -0500, Edmond Rodriguez wrote:
>> Trickle and trickled does this to a point.  Trickle lets you limit
>> bandwidth for a process started with it.
>> Trickled lets you add priorities to bandwidth for different network types.
>>
>> So a trickled config file like this one will not help give the browser
>> more priority than the wget:?:
>>

> If you always want wget to be throttled, then a quick-and-dirty solution
> (that's not really all that dirty) would be to just write a wrapper for
> wget.  Just make an executable in /usr/local/bin that says
>
>  #!/bin/sh
>  exec trickle -d 20 /usr/bin/wget $@
>
> Then, you just need to double-check that your path correctly has /usr/local/bin
> precede /usr/bin.
>
> HTH,
> -Randall

Sure, and wget itself has a throttle you can use.  Thanks for the
suggestion which is a good one for I am sure other applications.
(there is some condition placed about how the <application trickle is
controlling> was compiled).

I was hoping to be able to use the priorities.  Since the above you
have suggested is an option, then why can't priorities be by clients
as well as network types?  Tricled if you run it in the foreground,
will display messages about the trickle clients that it is working
with, and trickle alone can control bandwidth.  Trickled can
dynamically control the bandwidth of its clients , I am guessing by
sending messages to the trickle clients.  But why can I only define
network type for priorities in tricled?  Why not "client"?  It knows
the client too.   Maybe I am missing something?