Randall A Sindlinger on 25 Feb 2011 11:26:25 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Add an HDD to a diskless cluster node?

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 02:01:57PM -0500, Doug Stewart wrote:
> A little help here from anyone with diskless Linux operation,
> particularly in a RedHat-centric environment.
>
> I've been saddled with upgrading a legacy diskless RHEL cluster with
> physical HDD modules so that the nodes have somewhere local to write
> scratch data. The only problem is, fdisk doesn't see the new drives
> once Linux has loaded. I'm CERTAIN this is to do with the diskless
> configuration -- almost as CERTAIN as I am that I don't have a clue
> how to resolve this.

Just shooting from the hip - I'd guess that the linux kernel its loading
intentionally doesn't have any HDD driver modules in it at all; that
was probably done to keep the initrd and/or vmlinuz small for diskless
booting.

Without the driver, yeah, linux won't see it.

-Randall
--
  Randall Sindlinger
  Systems Programmer, CETS