Mike Sheinberg on 3 Mar 2011 13:48:10 -0800
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
[PLUG] super computing/parallel programming inquiry
- From: Mike Sheinberg <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <email@example.com>
- Subject: [PLUG] super computing/parallel programming inquiry
- Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 16:48:03 -0500
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=aXOht/xShp56efVI/xsPutXZ7lyzmYTyAEG0qen6jcA=; b=YYgq5kFDxv6tKr3D8nfznmp29lOzfRHEyY4IvBGFdsHMSynjUqbFcYgq4CkgAR+j2z Wfd+3CtJmxoRnIuvr4zN+2XfmQlFBK5wytAB7L/nH8pcmrW+CnPldFwxBRTguuJdG6Ps Svj+V6k6Mk+r7Ze/oFoveugZMk1xxcHeI5bQA=
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: email@example.com
I'm doing some research into viable super-computing architectures for a software project and was hoping someone could point me in a good direction based on experiences. Specifically I'm looking at the two platforms at the moment (but open to other suggestions to look into):
- NVIDIA CUDA architecture - seems to be relatively inexpensive and has a really good looking development community/support. Lots of decent looking books on Amazon doesn't hurt either..
- BEOWULF cluster - looks like we can build something small and custom (http://www.calvin.edu/~adams/research/microwulf/) and that we'll need to use a parallel library like ( something like MPI). Beowulf seems to be a pretty general term to describe clustering a group of computers from what I understand thus far...
We have software on Linux that we are looking to convert to run on some kind of parallel architecture but honestly we need to do a lot of research before we settle on a good direction to invest our development in. If anyone here knows of any consultants or has any first hand experience in parallel programming or super-computers in general and would either be able to provide some consultation, advice, services, or just some good pointers on the matter - please let me know.
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug