JP Vossen on 5 Mar 2011 16:42:59 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Exactly what is RedHat doing?

Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 17:52:34 -0500
> From: Alex Launi <alex.launi@gmail.com>

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 4:54 PM, K.S. Bhaskar <bhaskar@bhaskars.com> wrote:
Given tools like diff and the ability to write shell scripts, does it
really matter materially whether Red Hat releases their source as a tarball
vs. releasing it as a series of patches?

That was my first thought too. As long as you can ID the upstream kernel, you take that and RedHat's and diff 'em.

Have fun finding what part of the diff caused that regression bug you're
being bitten by.

Regression bugs in RHEL?!?  Surely you jest!!!
<ducks>

OK, seriously, I thought of that too, and that's a good point. 1 giant patch is a lot harder make sense of than smaller purpose-specific ones. But have you ever looked at the SRPM for an RHEL kernel? I haven't, but I looked at the SRPM for the CentOS kernel a few months ago. It was way ugly, with (IIRC) hundreds of patches.

If this sticks it's sure not going to help, but IMO it's only making a bad situation worse.

I was also wondering of this was part of the delay in getting CentOS-6 out the door, though other folks in this thread are saying CentOS isn't worried...

Later,
JP