Morgan Jones on 15 Mar 2011 08:53:59 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Recommendations for Motherboard

Rich et al,

This is only in part what you're looking for but certainly on topic and may be of interest to others.

I recently built a machine to experiment with ESXi, consolidate my server count and try out a few operating systems..  I ended up with a Supermicro X8SIL-F and a Xeon 3440 CPU.  It's is a true server motherboard for $180 on Buy.com.  Of note it has onboard video, dual gigabit Intel Pro ethernet and uses (only) ECC ram, has an internal USB port which is handy for booting the OS and has 6 onboard SATA ports.  This all increases cost of course but is still very affordable for a server class system.  The Xeon 3440 is an i5 with more cache and perhaps more cores or just hyperthreading, I'm not sure now, for an extra $30.

Of more interest to your build, Rich: I chose an Antec Three Hundred case: it's mostly tool-less, easy to mount drives, has plenty of space inside, looks like an adult's computer and is affordable at around $55.  I bought an Antec EarthWatts EA650 power supply that seemed like a reasonable compromise between quality and low cost.

I didn't even look at AMD as my clients seem to end up with VMware on Intel and I wanted to get close to what they were using.  I don't buy hardware often and prefer to buy once and use for many years.

I intentionally didn't buy from Newegg because I find their return policy is frustrating.

Good luck.

-morgan