Julien Vehent on 17 Mar 2011 09:12:48 -0700

Re: [PLUG] open source webmail reviews?

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:

This should all be stuff that linux can do well - it is fundamentally
server-based.  Imagine buying a cloud appliance for your house that
gives you email, DVR, web, calendaring, document creation and
management, backups, storage, and so on.  You can access all of it
from any browser, phone, or TV you have.  It uses open standards so it
can talk to the appliances your friends use (shared calendars,
documents, etc).  It provides some kind of backup solution as well
using open standard so that you have options like buying a commercial
service, backing up to an offisite appliance (or peering with a
friend), or plugging in a USB drive to backup.

I called it necto, designed the infrastructure, worked on all the components, integrated dozens of different softwares together (on Debian, with postfix, cyrus imap, openldap, davical, roundcube, opensips, samba, subsonic, etc etc....). That's my personal little project and it does what you describe. Well, it WILL do what you describe the day I manage to release an alpha version. I do it for myself, for pleasure, and want to make it a real project. But time is a very rare resource these days :)

Julien