Austin Murphy on 4 Apr 2011 10:22:06 -0700

Re: [PLUG] gnu parallel and tar

I've had a good experience with lbzip2, a multi-threaded
implementation of bzip.

It is compatible with regular bzip2.  In other words, you can use
lbzip2 to compress and bzip2 to decompress or vice versa.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/lbzip2
It's also available packaged from Rpmforge.

Austin