JP Vossen on 22 Apr 2011 12:28:45 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Network shares

On 04/22/2011 07:24 AM, plug-request@lists.phillylinux.org wrote:
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 23:32:22 -0400
From: "Eric H. Johnson"<ejohnson@camalytics.com>

[...]
I did just have some success however. I created a folder 'music' off root
and managed an nfs share to it.

Right, that's what everyone has been saying.

You originally said:
A while back I was able to do this with the videos folder with the following
command on the frontend:
sudo mount -t nfs -o vers=3 192.168.1.240:/var/lib/mythtv/videos /videos

And now trying the same thing with:
sudo mount -t nfs -o vers=3 192.168.1.240:/var/lib/mythtv/music /music

Both of these commands now yields the error "mount point /videos [or /music]
does not exist".

And the error is exactly what it says it is..."/videos" and "/music" do not exist on your client! So the fix, as you found out, is:

$ sudo mkdir /videos /music
$ sudo mount -t nfs -o vers=3 192.168.1.240:/var/lib/mythtv/videos /videos
$ sudo mount -t nfs -o vers=3 192.168.1.240:/var/lib/mythtv/music /music

The problem is that people sometimes forget that mount (and sshfs, which is the one that bites me) do NOT create the mount point for you.

I just cannot seem to figure out how to do a
share to anywhere else. I was not able to do a share to /home/mythuser/music
for example.

So having said that, I'm not sure why you can't do the mount deeper. FWIW, I do an NFS mount to /opt/bin/ on the client side and that works fine. Typo in paths maybe?

Is 'mount --verbose' any help?

Good luck,
JP