Edmond Rodriguez on 10 May 2011 08:27:26 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Future of Skype on Linux?

The biggest issue I have had was talking with other people.  It's not
something I do much with video chat, but when I do, Skype is often the
best thing to use because of people using Windows.   Otherwise one has
to boot windows to use MSN messenger or AIM or whatever.

But Skype frustrates me because it brings my 2GHz machine with RAM to
spare to it's knees.  I can hardly run a browser and Skype at the same
time, even without video sometimes.  And Skype will not longer run on
my 700 MHz machine, which has been fun to keep running (it used to
work fine).

I used to run "Speak Freely" on a dialup 56KB modem talking to a
friend and browsing the internet at the same time.  Speak Freely let
me choose my codec and even change it while I was talking.  It even
had encryption options which also could be changed while talking.
Some of the codecs might have made the voice quality go down, but you
could always understand clearly what the other person was saying.  So
you could not play music over it, so what?  Actually you could
increase the codec quality if you needed to and had the resources.

I have not found a similar tool to Speak Freely that works well.
Google chat seems very intense in resources too.