Walt Mankowski on 19 May 2011 04:19:18 -0700

[PLUG] Random Hacks of Kindness at Drexel! (Keynote by Roger Dingledine of Tor)

FYI...

----- Forwarded message from Mike Brennan <mb553@drexel.edu> -----

Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 20:02:54 -0400
From: Mike Brennan <mb553@drexel.edu>
To: Walt Mankowski <walt@cs.drexel.edu>
Subject: Random Hacks of Kindness at Drexel! (Keynote by Roger Dingledine of Tor)

Walt, would you be able to send information about RHoK to the talks mailing
list? Roger Dingledine of Tor will be giving the keynote and I think it
applies in that sense. Thanks so much!

Also, please send this to whomever else you think might find it interesting.

Thanks!
Mike Brennan
mb553@drexel.edu

Random Hacks of Kindness Philadelphia!

WHO: Designers, programmers, geeks, hackers, and problem solvers!
WHAT: *A FREE hackathon to create software solutions to global human
challenges.*
WHERE: 3175 JFK Blvd, Drexel University, Philadelphia
WHEN: June 4th and 5th, 2011 starting at 9am. (Reception on June 3rd TBA)
HOW: *Register at http://rhokphiladelphia.eventbrite.com / More Info at
http://www.rhok.org*

RHoK is an event and competition to create immediately applicable solutions
to real world problems. By gathering the brightest hackers and
problem-solvers from around the world, RHoK aims to use technology to tackle
disaster relief, social development, climate change, and human rights.
Here's your chance to volunteer your time and hack for humanity.

RHoK Philly begins at 9am on Saturday, June 4th . Show up with a team of 2-4
hackers (or join a team here!) Pick one of the dozens of available social
impact problem-definitions and see what you can make by Sunday afternoon.
The best project will be featured around the globe. Space is limited so be
sure to pre-register. If you have a global problem to suggest, get involved
in the discussion on the RHoK site (http://www.rhok.org) and submit it!

There will also be a keynote talk by Roger Dingledine of the Tor Project (
https://torproject.org). Plus other special guests!

This is a FREE event and open to the public. We will provide food, prizes,
Internet, power, and logistics. Just bring your laptop!

* The focus is on software but we need participants with a range of skills,
not just programmers! We need both techies and non-technical individuals who
understand these local and global challenges.

RHoK Philadelphia is sponsored by Drexel University, Technically Philly,
Drexel Women in Computing Society, Drexel Math and Computer Science Society,
and Grindcore House.