Mike Leone on 20 May 2011 08:43:41 -0700

Re: [PLUG] ISP's (OT)

On 5/20/2011 11:30 AM, Michael Broggy wrote:
> You won't get dedicated speeds on cable or DSL; you'll get what you get
> and no one is going to guarantee those speeds.
>
> I started out at 20 down, 5 up but am getting 15 or 10 down, now, and
> 1.5 up at best with Verizon FiOS.
>
> T1s might have better guarantees, though I'm not sure...I think you are
> guaranteed what you pay for, where with cable and DSL you don't tend to
> get anything solid in terms of delivered speed.

T1 speeds will be synchronous - 1.5 up AND down. The other offers are
asynchronous, which is why the down is sooo much higher than the up (and
why they are cheaper - they don't have to guarantee any speeds).Most
people don't need up, unless they are running a server, in which case
you need the up speed to deliver content to your customers.

If you're not doing that, and instead mostly need surfing or
downloading, then the cheaper asynchronous offers probably will make
more financial sense.

So it all depends on what you plan to do with your bandwidth ....

> Michael Broggy
>
> On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Julien Mills <julienfmills@yahoo.com
> <mailto:julienfmills@yahoo.com>> wrote:
>
>     All,
>
>     I'm investigating a new ISP for my small to medium sized business.
>     At the moment we have SDSL 1.5 Mb for about $269/month from Earthlink.
>
>     I can get 50 down/10 up from Comcast (cable) for about $200/month.
>
>     I can get 3 down/768K up from Verizon dsl for about about $100/month.
>
>     A T1 is 1.5 both ways for about $400/month.
>
>     The Verizon guy claims that a T1 at 1.5 Mbps is going to be faster
>     than the 3 M dsl line.  Is he right?  I don't know.  Should I get a T1?
>
>     I'm tempted to go with Comcast, less reliable I'm sure but way
>     faster for the money.  For us, I'm not sure it's worth paying for
>     reliability we don't need.
>
>     So, any thoughts?  Any other paths I should investigate?
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Julien M.

Michael J. Leone, <mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

Network apparatchik and all-around drudge.