CJ Fearnley on 27 May 2011 17:09:45 -0700

Re: [PLUG] ISP's (OT)

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 01:34:08PM -0400, CJ Fearnley wrote:
> On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 08:15:26AM -0700, Julien Mills wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I'm investigating a new ISP for my small to medium sized business.
> > At the moment we have SDSL 1.5 Mb for about $269/month from Earthlink.
>
> I'm trying to order backup cable service from RCN as I want to avoid
> the big players.  We'll see how it goes.

RCN service is good so far.  I've got 40 Mbit down; 500 Mbit up
(though most tests are running between 460 & 480 according to
http://md.speedtest.rcn.net/)

I also replace 1 phone line.  OK so far, but I have a Digium 400P card
and everytime I plug the phone line into the Digium card, the Arris TM722
telephony modem freaks and needs to be reset.  Not useful.  So far no
solution.  It should just be an FXO (Foreign eXchange Office) device.
How could that confuse the TM722 which I assume is the FXS (foreign
exchange service) provider?

Digium says my card is too old to support.  Arris doesn't seem to provide
support (except to cable companies).

One other nit with the Arris TM722: it doesn't support pulse dialing.
I still have one of those impossible to break rotary dialing phones.
I can answer calls on it, but cannot dial.

So the telephony side of RCN's service is 2 steps back from the Verizon
lines.  But the Internet is fast and working great.

Any other RCN customers?  Anyone else having trouble with cable-provided
telephony service?

--
CJ Fearnley                 |   LinuxForce Inc.
cjf@LinuxForce.net          |   IT Projects & Systems Maintenance