Julien Mills on 31 May 2011 06:25:14 -0700

Re: [PLUG] DVD-RW problem

Adam,

I think it is the drive.  I had similar behavior a while ago.  Sometimes a write worked, sometimes not.  Sometimes it was readable on a different machine, sometimes not, sometimes not even readable on the same machine. Anyway I've sort of given up on the rw business of cds and dvds for now.

Except... I do have one machine that uses dvd-rw disks perfectly, don't use them anywhere else.

My DVD-RW is kind of working. I say kind of b/c, while it seems able
to read CDs, and even able to blank them, writing seems to not quite
work. It sometimes has success burning an ISO to a CD, and *seems* To
write individual files, but most of the time all I wind up w/is an
unreadable disk. And, yes, I've tried to read the unreadable disks in
other devices too.

I will entertain the *very* small chance that every single CD-RW I've
used has the exact same problem, but that doesn't seem likely to me.

I already reseated all the SATA cables, w/no help. My next step will
me to reinstall Brasero + see if that, somehow, makes a difference,
but I'm not optimistic.

Does this sound to all of you like a problem w/the drive? B/c it sure
does to me.

-Z

--
Adam+Zion, MCSE+I, Registered Linux User #471910