Kevin McAllister on 5 Jun 2011 10:36:03 -0700

Re: [PLUG] VoIP setup

On Jun 3, 2011, at 6:09 PM, Joe Terranova wrote:

The remaining issue is bandwidth. You're looking at between 8 and 20
KBps per call. I average around 10 kbs, with ulaw. G279 is lower
bandwidth, but isn't free (you'd have to get a license from digium to
use it). GSM is also low bandwidth, (8kbps), but is cell phone
quality. You can see VOIP.ms' supported codecs here:
http://voip.ms/faq.php#supportedcodecs

So if you want with ulaw, you would need around 368 KB / 2610 kb per
second. If you want with GSM, 108 KB / 870 kb per second

Are you sure about 10 kbps (I'm reading this as bits)?  In my experience it's 10 k-Bytes-ps.

I always see approximately:
80 kilobits/s for µLaw
30 kilobits/s for G.729a

Also if you do G.729 transcoding it'll have a CPU cost.  So make sure your machine is up to it.  In many cases you can pass the G.729 transcoding off to your carrier, unless you're recording voicemails/calls locally.