Doug Stewart on 10 Jun 2011 20:27:37 -0700

Re: [PLUG] OT: Signing an NDA/Invention Assignment agreement

An NDA is different than a PIA is different than a noncompete is
different than an IP assignment agreement. Which, or which combo, of
the aforementioned, are you being asked to sign?

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 11:11 PM, Matt Simmons
<standalone.sysadmin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Randall,
>
> Make sure to find out what's covered by the NDA. Some companies write
> it such that only projects worked on by you at work are covered,
> others say anything that you invent any time during your employment,
> plus up to several years after is covered. I think that the latter
> would be nigh-unenforceable.
>
> If you see something that you don't like in the contract, ask them to
> change it.
>
> Hopefully people with more experience with this than myself will chime
> in as well.
>
> --Matt
>
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 10:50 PM, Randall Sindlinger <rsindlin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey Folks,
>>
>> I imagine a number of you have dealt with NDAs before.  I don't
>> remember the last time I needed to think about this.  Now I suddenly
>> have one to sign by Monday.
>>
>> What are the gotchas I should be aware of?  And what about the
>> Invention Assignment part of this?  I have some (I think) patentable
>> ideas, and I've even mused about writing a movie script. _I_ don't
>> think it's "relevant to the subject matter of my employment" but
>> should I be concerned?  Are there any horror stories?
>>
>> Should I be asking for recommendations for an attorney?
>>
>> Thanks all,
>> -Randall
>>

> --
> LITTLE GIRL: But which cookie will you eat FIRST?
> COOKIE MONSTER: Me think you have misconception of cookie-eating process.

-Doug