morgan jones on 11 Jun 2011 08:03:55 -0700

Re: [PLUG] OT: Signing an NDA/Invention Assignment agreement

Randall,

My understanding is generally the same as Andy's.

Remember, too, that you need not sign the document on the spot.  Take a copy to a lawyer friend or hire a lawyer if you're worried.  It will only cost you a few hundred dollars to have a lawyer look at it and it's worth it for piece of mind.  I can refer to you to a lawyer if you like.  He helped my wife negotiate her employment agreement and did a good job.

You can also strike or change really any part of the agreement and sign that.  A lawyer can help you with this as well.

If you decide not to sign it is generally better to just ignore the request rather than put your foot down and say you're not going to sign.  Sometimes companies send these out knowing that many employees will just sign in reflex--they don't expect everyone to sign and don't want to go to the trouble of forcing everyone to sign.  They may have to deal with squeaky wheels though.

Non competes in particular I'm told are also almost completely un-enforceable unless you received significant compensation for your exit (ie an officer with stock options).  Courts look poorly on limiting an individual's ability to make a living.

Good luck.

-morgan