JP Vossen on 18 Jun 2011 21:57:55 -0700

Re: [PLUG] 5TB RAID5, GTP& CentOS-5: what's going to bite me?

That sound you just heard was a massive facepalm...

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 12:11:53 -0400
From: "Gavin W. Burris"<bug@sas.upenn.edu>

There is no need for the live CDs.  You can do this with a standard
install CD/DVD.  The trick is, prior to installing the OS, create a
~100GB virtual disk with the raid bios, carving up the remaining disk
space for your data virtual disks as you see fit.

Right, that's sort-of what the original person did. Except he did it with physical drives (1+1 = 1TB MIRROR; 1+1+1+1-1 = 3TB RAID5) and losing 2 of 6 drives into the mirror really caused a lot of space problems due to the fragmentation. It never even occurred to me to look that far down the stack to try and fix the problem there.

That also assumes that I can create 2 different virtual disks on top of the same 6 physical disks. I bet it can though. I'll test it.....and.....it can!!!

If the installer then complains about the GPT partitioning, switch to
the terminal screen and overwrite the beginning of the block device with
random data:
# dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=64

I know Anaconda will complain about GTP; that's all over the web. But since I was able to do a 250G VD as sda, and "the rest" as sdb it's OK. I used MBR on sda and ignored the free space during the install, then use parted+GPT after the install completed for sdb.

That's a much more elegant and cleaner solution than I had, thanks!!!

Later,
JP