Rich Freeman on 22 Jun 2011 17:41:55 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu root password

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Bob Schwier <schwepes2002@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The problem comes  when you have to repair a flawed installation.
> Having the disk does not help as the disk does not seem to let
> you log in to save data.
> It does not recognize the original password even if that is what
> you are using with the re-installation.

You could just boot from a rescue CD or Live CD of some sort, and then
mount the hard drive.  Repairs can get tricky depending on what is
wrong, but resetting a password on a working install is easy:

1.  Get a root shell on the rescue CD (if you aren't root then usually
sudo /bin/bash will get you a root shell).
2.  mount /dev/sda1 /mnt  (substitute appropriate device and mountpoint)
3.  chroot /mnt /bin/bash
You are now in a root shell on your hard drive install.
4.  passwd
Enter your new password - it should set the root password accordingly.

I know the Gentoo live CDs should work for this purpose, although
there are better liveCD distros if you're looking for something that
is either more functional (think knoppix/etc), or rescue-focused (not
sure what is best these days).

Rich