Floyd Johnson on 14 Jul 2011 05:47:17 -0700

[PLUG] personal WiFi security: Stopping the barbarians at the gates

A recent Wired article threw me something remotely useful:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/07/hacking-neighbor-from-hell/

After getting past the lawyers' histrionics, I concluded I got some key
things right in my personal network:

(1) WEP was declared more or less a turkey (think "Ishtar") by 2005. The
correct encryption scheme for a personal WLAN, as of 2008, is WPA2.
(2) One should restrict the set of machines to which access to the
personal WLAN is granted, based on the MAC address in the network
hardware of said machines.
(3) The Access Point(s) should NOT broadcast the SSID of a personal WLAN
("hide that puppy")!

I don't know about you, but I can't shake the feeling that "Barbarians
at the Gates" invites a number of jokes about Windows and/or its makers.