Casey Bralla on 17 Jul 2011 17:41:59 -0700

[PLUG] Which Kernel to Run?

I've just loaded Funtoo on my Basement computer (in the "Fortress of
Nerditude").   I am a long-time Gentoo and Debian user and run the unstable
branch of both (except for my servers, which run Debian Stable).  In Gentoo, I
prefer to compile a monolithic kernel with all my required drivers (and no
others) compiled-in.

Funtoo allows you to select one of about a dozen different kernels, and I was
wondering if anyone on this list has a recommendation for which one to run.

Here are some of my choices:

Gentoo-sources
A highly patched kernel that has worked well for me over the years.  Currently
still at version 2.6.39-r3.  This is probably my "default" kernel.

sysrescue-std-sources
The "normal" kernel for Funtoo.  I'm shying away from it because it seems to
be focused on the genkernel system, which I don't like to use.

Debian-sources
Probably also a very good kernel, but I don't know what they've patched.
Currently at 2.6.38.31

Git-Sources
The bleeding edge from Linus' git repository.  It's a 3.0 kernel and my fear
is that it is too bleeding edge for me.

Vanilla-sources
Totally pure and unpatched from kernel.org.  Seems to have a nice balance
between newness and stability.  Currently at 2.6.39.3.   Since I don't really
know what's patched int he other kernels, this one is kind of attractive for
its wholesomeness.

So, which of these kernels would you recommend, and why?
--

Casey Bralla
Chief Nerd in Residence

The NerdWorld Organisation