Eric H. Johnson on 29 Jul 2011 07:37:26 -0700

[PLUG] File sharing with virtualizatio

Hi all,

Anyone know any easy ways, and by easy ways I mean something relative
novices can handle, of sharing files between a host and a virtualized client
running on the host. Specifically I have Windows as the host and Ubuntu
running under VirtualBox. So far I have found setting up a share to be quite
difficult requiring the installation of host and client add-ons for
VirtualBox, installing packages including header files on Ubuntu, and then
doing a mount.

Mounting something like a USB drive has been similarly non-trivial, although
I may be doing something wrong there.

Installing something like Dropbox is not too bad, except that it can be
pretty slow if large files are involved. FTP isn't that bad either with
something like Filezilla and the Filezilla server on the host.

Is there anything easier?

Thanks,
Eric