JP Vossen on 29 Jul 2011 12:36:49 -0700

Re: [PLUG] File sharing with virtualization

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 11:42:24 -0400
> From: "Eric H. Johnson"<ejohnson@camalytics.com>

I guess a little more explanation is required. I have created a Live
CD for a presentation I am giving where I have pre-installed and
configured many of the applications I intend to talk about. I will be
giving a stripped down version of the presentation at the upcoming
August North meeting and the September West meeting.

How about another preso on how to create a custom LiveCD?! I'd be really interested in that!

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 10:36:12 -0400
> From: "Eric H. Johnson"<ejohnson@camalytics.com>

Anyone know any easy ways, and by easy ways I mean something
relative novices can handle, of sharing files between a host and a
virtualized client running on the host. Specifically I have Windows
as the host and Ubuntu running under VirtualBox. So far I have found
setting up a share to be quite difficult requiring the installation
of host and client add-ons for VirtualBox, installing packages
including header files on Ubuntu, and then doing a mount.
[...]

IIRC VirtualBox uses Samba behind the scenes to do this, so that's
probably all the additional parts and config. Though I dunno why you'd need headers for that. Can anyone correct me?

In theory, I prefer VirtualBox since it has the OSE. I was also really worried about Oracle killing VB off in favor of its solution, but since that hasn't happened yet I've relaxed a bit. I still don't really like or trust Oracle though. In practice, for me, VMware is easier, has more mind-share, familiarity and corporate warm-fuzzies. So you may want to consider that.

The free (as in beer, not freedom) VMware Player has a build-in "Shared Folders" feature. I am using it to host the XP VM that I actually use on top of the Win7 PC supplied by work and everything Just Works (XP Z: drive maps to shared folder on Win7).

Hosting on Windows and connecting an Ubuntu guest may Just Work, if you can map via the Gnome/Nautilus "Connect to server" feature. However, I've not had much luck trying to use a share thus connected from the command line. So it may require the Samba client on the Ubuntu side. Still, that may be 50% less work than VirtualBox (and no header files). And depending on your final audience, "VMware" may provide more warm-fuzzies than Oracle/VirtualBox.

Looking forward to the preso...

$0.02,
JP