William Bilancio on 7 Aug 2011 06:18:24 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Thinkpad T42 hard drive replacement

JP,

All 2.5 ATA drives have the same pin outs.  A non IBM drive will work in a T42.  I have put non IBM drives into T42 many times.

William

----
William Bilancio
Professional IT Community Conferences
PO Box 5161 Trenton, NJ USA 08638-0161  | http://www.picconf.org/corporate
609.791.9658 | Fax: 609-219-6788 | E-mail: wbilancio (at) picconf.org

On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 12:18 AM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
On 08/05/2011 11:14 AM, plug-request@lists.phillylinux.org wrote:
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 19:23:46 -0400
From: Jonathan Simpson<jonathan@jdsnetwork.com>

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_non-ThinkPad_hard_disks
read this first. T4x are particular about their drives due
to the active protection system they implement. This shuts
down the drive when a change in velocity is detected to
attempt to prevent physical damage.  Doesn't always work,
though, as you found out.

Interesting, thanks!  I did find that site but not that page.  It specifically mentions a number of models, but the T42 is not listed (T43 is).

Anyone else have a clue if a T42 will work right with a non-IBM drive?

Thanks,
JP
JP Vossen, CISSP            |:::======|      http://bashcookbook.com/
My Account, My Opinions     |=========|      http://www.jpsdomain.org/