Julien Vehent on 9 Aug 2011 22:39:46 -0700

Re: [PLUG] ClusterSSH & friends

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 01:35:27 -0400, JP Vossen wrote:
Last night at PLUG N we were talking about running the same command
on a bunch of servers.  Here is some follow-up for that.

I was thinking of "multixterm", which seems to be part of the
expect-dev (possibly just expect on some distros), but the references
on the NIST site seem otherwise dead. [1]

Then there is "Execute commands simultaneously on multiple servers
Using PSSH/Cluster SSH/Multixterm" [2] and "Parallel SSH execution and
a single shell to control them all" [3].

There's this non-Interactive one:
http://www.stearns.org/fanout/    Run non-interactive commands on
remote machines simultaneously

And of course, CFEngine [4], Puppet [5] and chef [6] and a comparison
of a bunch of config management tools [7], but these are all more
heavy duty than the original topic.

I haven't really used any of them, but from my brief survey, PSSH
sounds the most interesting since it includes (scriptable) pssh, pscp,
prsync, and pnuke.  http://code.google.com/p/parallel-ssh/

If anyone (Kevin?) dives into these, let us know how it works out.

I have not used pssh yet, it's in the todo list, but I have experimented a bit with classic SSH and SUDO to automate user creation on multiple servers.

It took me some time to deal with sudo asking for a password, but I reached a somewhat acceptable solution. By the way, if someone knows of an ssh-agent-like sudo agent, that could transport my sudo session from a machine to another, I'd love to hear about it.

Here is the blog post I wrote: http://jve.linuxwall.info/blog/index.php?post/2011/07/22/Using-ssh-agent-with-a-relay-to-create-a-user-account-on-multiple-servers

Cheers,
Julien