Art Clemons on 25 Aug 2011 19:24:21 -0700

Re: [PLUG] and now, the more mundane

On 08/25/2011 11:45 AM, Floyd Johnson wrote:
> For those of you living in the city limits:
> (1) Do any CLECs (assuming more than one exists here) do better on
> residential DSL? I suspect the whole leased-line aspect stamps a big
> "no" on that.

I don't think there is any way to escape Verizon for DSL.  As far as I
can tell none of the remaining players provide their own lines.  Of
course if you have a FIOS option, I'ld strongly suggest taking it.  The
real downside to FIOS is during power outages and you're left to the
mercy of a rather skimpy UPS.  Of course with DSL and a power failure,
the same problem exists, but if you depend on a landline phone, that
lack of power backup is awful.