Floyd Johnson on 25 Aug 2011 08:47:11 -0700

[PLUG] and now, the more mundane

I was originally going to call this "bleeping residential DSL".

Once again, the Verizon DSL experienced a weather-related line protocol
failure (10:27 AM), said firm's recent and past labor issues being
irrelevant. My guess is that much of this failure-during rainfall
tendency has to do with very old copper wiring here in South Philly.

For those of you living in the city limits:
(1) Do any CLECs (assuming more than one exists here) do better on
residential DSL? I suspect the whole leased-line aspect stamps a big
"no" on that.
(2) Have you generally thrown in the towel on DSL and shelled out for
fiber to your premises?
(3) Given its atmospheric nature, is that WiMAX thing hawked by Clear
even relevant to you as Linux geeks?
(4) Which observation works better?
"2010 has come and gone, and the state of residential data
communications fares little better than two tin cans and a string."

or

"Even in the future, nothing works." (ascribed to Mel Brooks,
director/co-writer, "Spaceballs", ca. 1986)