Lee H. Marzke on 25 Sep 2011 13:07:57 -0700

Re: [PLUG] October Speakers

If there is any interest in the new "OpenStorage" market
I can talk about that.

This is a new industry term focusing on moving storage from propriety SAN hardware
towards Software based (NAS/SAN) that runs on standard 64bit hardware.

Most vendors here are exploiting Sun's ZFS - which isn't available on Linux except running
in userland under Fuse - so the performance isn't adequate.  ZFS also supports
using large SSD caches for both writing (ZIL) and reading (L2ARC),  so you
can get SAS performance out of SATA disks.

Nexenta (on OpenSolaris) is leading the way with their NexentaStor product.
The guts run on OpenSolaris which is open-source and includes the ZFS file-system.
The GUI is not open-source but has both free and supported versions.

Right behinds Nexenta is the new release of FreeNAS 8 on BSD which just migrated
to ZFS as well.   OpenFiler runs on Linux but has no ZFS support.

I can show off NexentaStor and typical use cases.

( OpenSolaris is now OpenIndiana  with the IllumOS kernel and Nexenta will likely
be migrating to that OS )

Lee