Rich Freeman on 25 Sep 2011 18:31:19 -0700

Re: [PLUG] October Speakers

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Lee H. Marzke <lee@marzke.net> wrote:
> Most vendors here are exploiting Sun's ZFS - which isn't available on Linux except running
> in userland under Fuse - so the performance isn't adequate.

All this talk of zfs makes me think that somebody needs to do a btrfs
talk (no slight to zfs intended).  Sure, we've probably all heard a
little about it, but I'd be interested in what makes it tick, what the
challenges are, and where it is going.

I've been VERY slowly slogging my way through the documentation.  I've
messed around with it a little but it is still very beta-ish
(especially for a filesystem), and right now it is limited to
pseudo-raid1.

However, the design is very interesting (but complex).  Things are
very well abstracted which gives the filesystem a LOT of power.

Rich