Mike Leone on 3 Oct 2011 05:51:21 -0700

[PLUG] cygwin errors

Hope somebody can here can help. I installed cygwin a long time ago, on
Win 7. Now I am trying to remove it. So, following the FAQ, I have to
stop all services first, so I am trying to list them.

cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'DcomLaunch': Win32 error 5
Access is denied.
cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'ose': Win32 error 5
Access is denied.
cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'osppsvc': Win32 error 5
Access is denied.
cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'pla': Win32 error 5
Access is denied.
cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'QWAVE': Win32 error 5
Access is denied.
cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'RpcEptMapper': Win32 error 5
Access is denied.
cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'RpcSs': Win32 error 5
Access is denied.
sshd

And I haven't been able to find out anything about what that means, or
how to fix it. I want to uninstall sshd, and I'd really like to avoid
joining yet another high volume mailing list for one question.

Any ideas? There is no "su" in cygwin, apparently, or mine says user
root does not exist, anyway. So I can't stop this service.

$ cygrunsrv --stop sshd
cygrunsrv: Error stopping a service: OpenService:  Win32 error 5:
Access is denied.

Any ideas?

--
Michael J. Leone, <mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

Network apparatchik and all-around drudge.