sean finney on 12 Oct 2011 10:45:08 -0700

Re: [PLUG] plug Digest, Vol 83, Issue 12

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:10:39AM -0400, Adam Zion wrote:
> > insmod insert modules
> > rmmod  remove module
> > modprobe insert or remove module
> >
> > one of these utilities could help to remove the module that is being used.
>
> Sadly, no love from any of these commands- even after I stop the
> device, the system crashes after I physically remove it.
>
> I'm beginning to think that I can't get there from here... that I need
> to replace Ubuntu w/Fedora, or restrict myself to using (ptooey)
> Windows when I want to use the mobile device.

You could also try a newer/backported kernel, since it's likely a
driver bug somewhere in the wifi/3g/usb stack and those get quite a
bit of attention in the kernel these days.

That said, if the system was still crashing when you removed the
device, my guess is you did not remove the correct driver (unless it's
really, *really* buggy, in which case the likelihood of there being a
fix upstream is even higher).

	sean