Adam Zion on 18 Oct 2011 05:14:43 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Problem w/upgrade from Ubuntu 11.04 -> 11.10

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 4:26 AM, sean finney <seanius@seanius.net> wrote:

> and if i were still in the philly area i would have bet you a
> few rounds of $beverage that i could ressurect it in less than
> 15 minutes.  and i would have enjoyed said beverage, i'm very
> certain :)

I admire your optimism.

> sounds like you're doing the chown/chmod in the wrong place, or before
> copying them instead of after.  better would be to do something like
>
> sudo su -
> mv /home/newuser /home/newuser.bak
> mv /home/olduser /home/newuser
> chown -R newuser:newuser /home/newuser
>
> you shouldn't need a chmod in that case.  Alternatively,
> instead of the chown, you could change your user id in
> /etc/passwd to match the one on the files in question, though
> i'd probably go with chown as it feels more "right".

I was using the wrong syntax in my chmod command.

As it turns out, I worked around it another way. I did a chmod 777 on
the entire old directory as root, logged in w/the new account, and
then copied the files from the old profile to the new one. That way,
the files in the new location all had the proper permissions.

And there endeth the lesson, and an irritating one at that.

Thanks for your patience.

-Z

--
Adam+Zion, MCSE+I, Registered Linux User #471910