Casey Bralla on 20 Oct 2011 03:25:24 -0700

[PLUG] SSD & HDD Partition Plan Suggestions

I'm planning on upgrading my desktop system to add an SSD and am looking for
suggestions from this august group to maximize system speed.

My current plan is to:

- Buy a ~60 GByte drive (seems to be the price/capacity sweet spot)
- Partition the SSD for / & /boot
- Partition the HDD for /home, /var, /tmp
- NFS for my /docs, /music, & other data files

Does this sound reasonable?  Anything else that should be forced to either the
SSD or the HDD?

BTW, Since the SSD is only 60 GBytes, I expect it to become obsolete long
before it wears out, so I'm not so concerned about limiting the number of
writes to the SSD.  Therefore, I'm planning on continuing to use a journaled
file system on it.
--

Casey Bralla
Chief Nerd in Residence