Gavin W. Burris on 20 Oct 2011 05:30:57 -0700

Re: [PLUG] SSD & HDD Partition Plan Suggestions

Hi Casey,

My main computer is a netbook with a Corsair SSD, hooked to an external
LCD when at a desk.  I would suggest putting your home directory on the
SSD, also.  If you have enough memory, most of the OS will be cached in
memory anyway, but your home directory files will be constantly read and
re-written for your interactive applicatons.

There are tricks to mounting various temp and cache directories into
RAM, too, like so, in /etc/fstab:
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,size=256M 0 0
tmpfs /var/tmp tmpfs defaults,size=64M 0 0
tmpfs /var/log tmpfs defaults,size=32M 0 0
firefox /home/bug/.mozilla/firefox/ctso8j3d.default/Cache tmpfs
defaults,size=32M,uid=500,gid=500,exec 0 0

Cheers.

--
Gavin W. Burris
Senior Systems Programmer