Julien Vehent on 30 Oct 2011 09:16:58 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Groupware Alternatives

On 30.10.2011 08:41, Rich Freeman wrote:
On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Julien Vehent <julien@linuxwall.info> wrote:
For the calendar, you could give a try to Davical. That's what I run on my personal server and it works fine with Sunbird, aCal on Android, and the
Calendar plugin of Roundcube.

I'd really like to see the FOSS options improve in this area. Neither Squirrelmail or RoundCube are half as nice as Gmail. IMAP at least is
a decent standard, although mobile client implementations tend to be
weak.

There really aren't any good options if your requirements include:
1.  Operating primarily in a web-based environment.
2.  Decent Offline email on Android.

Roundcube looks nice, but unlike Gmail it lacks keyboard shortcuts for
most of the common tasks (such as moving mail out of the inbox), and
drag-and-drop on a laptop with a trackpad is pretty annoying.

Roundcube is not perfect, but I honestly find it a lot better than anything else I've tried, including thunderbird, outlook or evolution, for email management. And it has decent shortcuts too (see attached).

Gmail is clearly the most efficient webmail on the market. But it's no different than locking yourself up in an exchange server. And if I had to choose, Exchange has a lot of very nice features for tasks/calendar integration and groupware management. You just can't beat the outlook/exchange couple that easily.

But for calendar alone, davical does the job just fine. aCal is reliable and works offline, although I'm not a huge fan of the interface. The calendar plugin for roundcube is well integrated and evolving fast. What I don't know yet, is how good the invitation model works.

Julien