Rich Freeman on 11 Nov 2011 06:31:26 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Linux EMC and Headless Systems

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 8:46 AM, Eric H. Johnson
<ejohnson@camalytics.com> wrote:
> Also while running on gentoo may solve the problem of
> dependencies, I still need to generate the installable packages

A Gentoo package already exists at:
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?EmcOnGentoo
(It is the last code box on the page.  Note that a "package" on Gentoo
can just be a few lines of shell script as Gentoo "packages" don't
actually contain binaries.)

If you're talking about a tarball of the actual installed files, you
can get that pretty trivially on Gentoo.  You can tell the package
manager to generate a binary package during build, or you can just run
quickpkg to turn an installed package into a binary package (with or
without config files).

Of course, if you plan to install that on some other system you'd have
to ensure that all the required libraries are available and at
compatible versions, or you'd need to statically link it.

If you meant that you need to generate Ubuntu packages then Gentoo is
going to be of little help except in demonstrating that it can be done
- the problems you're running into probably aren't even in the EMC
packaging per-se, unless in its dependency selection.  As others have
commented you might have to get Ubuntu to split some of their packages
to accomplish your goals, or at least set services to not run.

Oh, and none of my comments are meant to suggest that Ubuntu does
things "wrong" - Gentoo and Ubuntu have different goals and their
designs simply reflect this.  Ubuntu is pretty heavily weighted
towards the desktop, so issues like packages tending to pull in X11 or
OpenOffice aren't really a big problem since 95% of their users are
running those anyway.  Gentoo tends to be more "purist" around
dependencies since the minimum install is supposed to be very light
(well, if you can call gcc and binutils light - though you can safely
strip those out of a system if you build your packages elsewhere and
install them as binaries).  My personal sense is that something like
EMC would do better to target Debian/Gentoo or another less-desktopish
distro than Ubuntu, but I'm not the one who has to maintain it.

Rich