Rich Freeman on 23 Nov 2011 03:53:48 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Incremental backup via cron

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 10:54 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
> Since you are pulling to local (presumably trusted), if you don't want to
> roll your own, take a look at BackupPC (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/).
>  Once you set it up with SSH keys, it Just Works, and have a reasonably nice
> web GUI.  All backups appear "full" even when they are incremental.  It uses
> rsync, with the hardlink trick, and does *file level* (not block level)
> de-duplication.

I've used this in the past - it works fairly well.  It doesn't get
things like in-use registry hives on windows machines, but it does a
good job with just about everything else.  It also features a decent
web interface where you can do things like trigger backup/restore jobs
remotely.  So, if somebody calls you and tells you they deleted some
file you can just find it on the web interface and hit the restore
button and in a minute the file is back where it came from.

The only issue with it is that if you lose a whole machine it won't
get you back up and running quickly like a full-disk image solution.
I switched to clonezilla for this reason, but it is manual so I only
back up individual machines monthly.  However, I do try to pull the
data off them more frequently and upload the most important stuff to
S3 using the scripts I posted earlier.

Rich