Rich Freeman on 10 Dec 2011 19:28:13 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Org Mode Latex pdf publishing margins

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Paul L. Snyder <plsnyder@drexel.edu> wrote:
> Do you have a particular type of document you're trying to create right
> now?

Well, I did get a family Christmas letter implemented in latex (though
too late to avoid having to do it in Google Docs instead).

However, I have to say it was a pretty painful experience.  It took
overriding to get the letter to not just print with half a page of
blank space at the top, and it took some hacking to get rid of the
place for a hand signature.

However, that was nothing compared to getting it to handle one word
written in Cyrillic...

I dunno - it isn't horrible, but the defaults just aren't all that
sane.  And, considering that Cyrillic works fine on a linux text
console you'd think that they could get it to work without so much
tweaking in a program designed for typesetting.

Having done it once I suspect that it won't be quite as hard to do it again.

The thing is that it seems like latex is best suited to larger
projects - but I'm not sure I'd want to get myself so committed to
authoring a ton of content in it for a large project when it is so
hard to master for small ones.  Lyx is nice, but it is even more
restrictive (it blows up if you don't put addresses on the letter -
unlike the letter documentclass itself).  Can you imagine typing 50
pages of stuff marked up in latex and then running into an issue that
would force you to reformat the thing in a more conventional word
processor.

I REALLY want to like latex, but it just seems like learning Verilog
to change a battery or mastering molecular orbitals in order to apply
sunblock...

Rich