JP Vossen on 10 Dec 2011 10:43:45 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Lost gigabytes?

Rich, thanks for your comments.

Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 03:30:43 -0000 (GMT)
From: "Lee H. Marzke"<lee@marzke.net>

<snip>
The terminology between normal partitions,  LVM,  and ZFS is a bit
confusing.

POD                       LVM                      ZFS
xxx                     Physical Volume            vDev
Disk                   Volume Group (VG)          Pool
Fixed Partition      Logical Volume (LV)          Folder
<snip>

Wow. I was vaguely aware of all of the above, but I couldn't have laid it out like this. And I didn't know of the rest of the details.

Great stuff, thanks Lee!

<snip>
The other issue with LVM is that you can't revert to the snapshot.
So you can only use LVM for helping with freezing data for a backup
and not preserving the system to back out a bad patch.

Yes. I always forget to clarify this point because I learned it this way, so reverting to a snapshot was never an option, so I forget to point that out. But as Lee always reminds me, lots of people expect to be able to revert to a snapshot, and that fact that you can't on LVM is important to know.

Later,
JP