JP Vossen on 13 Dec 2011 12:28:11 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Autostart application under xfce

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 13:52:42 -0500
From: "Eric H. Johnson"<ejohnson@camalytics.com>

I have a very odd problem with an xubuntu 10.04 system and running an
application at log-on. This system runs headless, so it logs into a user
account automatically and runs an applications as that user. When a monitor
is attached it runs fine. If I disconnect the monitor, it appears that the
applications does not start. I have also checked keyboard and mouse, but
they have no effect, it clearly seems to be related to the monitor.

<snip>

Too many Erics on this thread, my head hurts.

Anyway, as one Eric pointed out, the problem is probably the missing monitor. But there is an easier solution than the resistor hardware hack the original Eric followed-up with. :-)

Most of us are familiar with the various "remote desktop" server that *share* the console GUI. That is, the GUI that is displayed on the physical monitor can also be seen remotely. But there's another VNC X server that provides X without sharing (or using) the attached physical display, if any.

See the "note" at the bottom!