JP Vossen on 14 Dec 2011 12:32:02 -0800

Re: [PLUG] dell xps 14z

On 12/14/2011 03:00 PM, plug-request@lists.phillylinux.org wrote:
On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Loic Duros<lduros@member.fsf.org>  wrote:
>  I just read you bought a u46e. I did too at Best Buy, took me the weekend to
>  be able to use it correctly with Debian. Turns out if you go in your BIOS
>  settings (I think if you press F2 when you see the ASUS logo, but I'll check
>  tonight, it doesn't tell you which F-key it is!), you then get to it. Then
>  press on the next arrow to get to the second tab (I think from memory). You
>  should see a "VT-d" field, you can disable it, then save the changes.
>  After that, all will work well, no need to turn off acpi either.

FYI, if you do this, various virtualization technologies may not work right, especially for 64-bit guests. You may or may not care in the context, and I understand that "working" is better than not, but just FYI... Perhaps there is a different solution post-install, or if this is needed.

For example, I was trying to run VMware Workstation 7.1 on an old Dell PE-850, but I was unable to run 64-bit guests even though the host OS was 64-bit, because the CPU lacked the VT feature. But turning it off in the BIOS will have the same effect.

Having said all of that, I'm a bit hazy on the difference, if any, between "VT" and "VT-d"... YMMV.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003945

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualization#Intel_virtualization_.28VT-x.29

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2009/06/25/understanding-vt-d-intel-virtualization-technology-for-directed-io/

Later,